|Churches of Holt County
The German M. E. Church
Lewis Township - Oregon
The first to preach in Oregon for this church was the Rev. Henry Hogrefe, a circuit rider. The first services were held in 1847,
at the residence of F. S. Rostock, Sr. They continued regularly
for three successive
years to meet at his house for religious services, till about the year 1850, when the congregation purchased for a church,
a school building which stood on the site of the present brick edifice,
opposite the Normal School.
The Rev. Henry Hogrefe was succeeded by Rev. Ellis, and the latter by Rev. Charles Walters. Rev. Koeniky was the first
In 1859, the present brick
church, above mentioned, was erected at a cost of $3,650. The church was then organized by Rev. H. Muehlenbrock, with the
following members : F. S. Rostock, Sr. and wife, George Meyer, Daniel
Kunkel, Philip Rostock, Ferdinand Simero, Michael Spoerle, Fred. Mart, Jacob Herman, Herman Schulte, Andrew Gemeker,
Jacob Kuentzle, Jacob Mart, C. Schlotzhauer, Philip Schneider, Philip Kollmer and Henry Hogrefe. The wives of the above
mentioned were also members of the church and organization.
are the ministers who have served this church: Rev. H. Muehlenbrock, from 1859 to 1862; Rev. Henry C. Dryer, from 1862
to 1863; Rev. Peter Hehner, from 1863 to 1864; Rev. Charles Steinmeyer,
from 1864 to 1865; Rev. John Philip Miller, from 1865 to 1867; Rev. H. F. Arnsberger, from 1867 to 1869; Rev. George
Schotz, from 1869 to 1872; Rev. Henry Fiegenbaum, from 1872 to 1875; Rev.
William Fiegenbaum, from 1875 to 1876; Rev. F. Unland, from 1876 to 1879; Rev. C. Herrmann entered on his pastoral duties
in 1879, and is
still (1882) minister of the congregation.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882"
Transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016