The society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Mound City was organized in 1864, with a membership of five. This included
David Gillis and wife, Mrs. Sarah Dodge and Mrs. Hoblitzell.
Mound City was an appointment on the Oregon circuit. Rev. Thos. Hollingsworth was preacher in charge. The church building,
a neat frame structure 30x40 feet, was erected in 1879, and cost, including
bell, organ and furniture, about $1,400.
The present (1882) membership of this organization, including those on probation, is one hundred. The society also owns
a neat frame residence building occupied as a parsonage, on which they have expended, in the past year in the way of repairs,
the sum of four hundred dollars.