The Presbyterian Church was organized by Rev. E. B. Sherwood, May, 1872, with the following members: W. W. Frazer, Miss M. A.
Frazer, Mrs. Jane Glenn, Andrew Frazer and Mrs. C. E. Strickler, the first three of whom are still numbered with its membership.
Rev. M. L. Anderson was their first minister, remaining till July, 1873, when Rev. W. G. Thomas was elected pastor.
He remained for a little more than a year, after which the church was without regular preaching, except for a few months,
during which period Mr. Carr and Mr. J. O. Pierce licentiates, served the congregation.
June, 1877, Rev. Duncan Brown,
the present (1882) pastor, took charge of the church, which then included, in all, thirteen members. Since that period
124 persons have united with this church. Its present membership is 122, fourteen having withdrawn to unite with other organizations,
and one having been added.
The church edifice is a neat gothic frame structure, with vestibule and gallery. It was built in 1874
and 1875, at a cost of $2,500. In the three years immediately preceding the present (1882), further improvements were added at
a cost of about $600, rendering it a tasteful and comfortable house of worship. The structure is not only completed, but entirely
paid for. Regular services are held in this church every Sunday. Attached to this church is a ladies'
missionary society, a children's missionary society, and a Sabbath school numbering 150 scholars.
The present (1882) church
officers are Elders W. W. Frazer, Dr. George C. Brown, M. M. Smith, W. H. Watt, W. M. Hamsher and George H. Carpenter. The
deacons are W. M. Hamsher and W. A. Long. E. A. Welty, Sunday school superintendent.
The history of this church is
remarkable, from the fact that in the rear of and adjoining this church, is the Mound City Academy, a private institution of
learning, superintended by Rev. D. Brown, pastor of the said church. It is liberally patronized, and a credit to the
educational enterprise of the town.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882"
Transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016