Return to Townships
Holt County, Missouri
Clay Township History
was the name of the post office, and a town was laid out in the fall of 1876, and a store built. The first store in Whig Valley was established in 1870 by E. A. Burnett & Bro.,
and stood on section 9, of township 62 range 37. This was purchased by E. F. Weller, who, in 1876, built the present store on the town site of Whig Valley.
Whig Valley was
abandoned when Maitland was laid out, its business houses and their proprietors all moving to the new town.
Source: The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; 1882
Return to Holt County Home Page
Copyright © MOGenWeb 1996-2016 The submitters & MOGenWeb
Page updated on June 10, 2016 by Karyn